Hi, I like that 3d cartoon tile set. Is it included?

Jondar
New face

Re: Hi, I like that 3d cartoon tile set. Is it included?

Postby Jondar » Sat May 02, 2015 8:31 pm

error.png
error.png (10.02 KiB) Viewed 7237 times
forgot to attach error...

dez
L.F.A. TEAM

Postby dez » Sun May 03, 2015 1:20 pm

ah yea. sorry about that.
I updated the download, it's just bad paths in the .tmx you can change them manually.
But anyway they are fixed now.

Jondar
New face

Postby Jondar » Sun May 03, 2015 9:57 pm

Awesome. It loads now.

A remaining question (not familiar with Tiled): I do not see a tile for a single grid color--like the green, or off-white as these do not seem to be present in any of the tiles. How were large areas "painted"--is there a tile selection that I should be using (but don't see)?

Thank you!

Jondar
New face

Postby Jondar » Sun May 03, 2015 10:41 pm

Nevermind--found the little edit terrain button under the tileset :-)

Jondar
New face

Postby Jondar » Mon May 04, 2015 12:33 am

Trying to import this in to unity--trying to follow the video.

How do I change the grouping so that +x and +z shown? I only have the "x" increasing in a negative manner. If I switch X, then Z is not selectable: only shows Y as positive.

This likely is messing up how it tries to create the test prefabs--but it is only finding 60 or so. As I look at the individual tiles, they are not quite at 3 intervals despite having it try to correct.

dez
L.F.A. TEAM

Postby dez » Mon May 04, 2015 1:37 am

Jondar wrote:Trying to import this in to unity--trying to follow the video.

How do I change the grouping so that +x and +z shown? I only have the "x" increasing in a negative manner. If I switch X, then Z is not selectable: only shows Y as positive.

Hi Jondar,
Watch and follow the videos carefully, the answers are in there.
At the moment you import the file into Unity is the time to orient the tiles to x+ z+, otherwise it will be too difficult with many separate models once they are their own prefabs.

Jondar wrote:This likely is messing up how it tries to create the test prefabs--but it is only finding 60 or so. As I look at the individual tiles, they are not quite at 3 intervals despite having it try to correct.

Look for 'Force exact positioning' in the Step 1) menu. You can watch me do this in the Step 1) video.

Jondar
New face

Postby Jondar » Mon May 04, 2015 11:00 am

When using the procedural modules 14 included in the cartoon tileset, if I delete out everything that doesn't start with mod_ or Col_mod prefix I get only 1070 prefabs which would be generated (may also include the module 14 itself to which nothing is parented, is at position 0,0,0)

If I include everything (without deleting out the rest of the modules, etc) counting on the program to process only those things which are X+ and Z+, I get 1231 prefabs which would be generated (again assuming one is the module 14 thing, which is likely able to be deleted?)

which of these two procedures will give me the correct result needed to proceed? I think that the module14 is not the same one used for the video, and not being a Maya expert (I have the program, have not yet used it) I can't select the tileset to "count" them (although I can select any of the other objects readily--? locked file?)

Please advise, and thank you for your help! It goes without stating that my area of expertise is not in computers, so I apologize for my learning curve

dez
L.F.A. TEAM

Postby dez » Mon May 04, 2015 2:07 pm

Hi Jondar,

the thing is that as stated above, the tile set is not supported. It is just a favor I give to customers since many people asked for it. The fact is that it is a complex tile set, and I actually don't recommend it for you if you are just beginning to use Unity or beginning in game dev.

My advice is this:
Either make your own very simple set, or heavily simplify the tile set. Delete most of it away except for a bare minimum to use. Master how to use the smaller, simpler set. Then if you want, come back to the full one.
The full set is an in-practice hardcore tile set designed for a shipping title. And even then it is not set up for you in Unity so I really don't recommend it if you are just starting. The reason I don't support it is because I can't: way too many things can go wrong if you don't know what you are doing. Start small, things will be clear, then build from there. If you have trouble with the a simple set let me know and I will be able to help you better :)

Jondar
New face

Postby Jondar » Mon May 04, 2015 2:31 pm

I understand :-)

I appreciate the assistance and making an example available--without which I would not have a hope of figuring it out. I'll message back if problems with a simple set.

BTW--the environment is very artistic. If I use any of the environment I will follow the rules earlier stated. I'm working on an educational game (medical related) and any shortcuts (like Tiled to Unity) are my friends :-)

Thank you again!

dez
L.F.A. TEAM

Postby dez » Mon May 04, 2015 3:08 pm

sounds good :)

Also, if you haven't already, I recommend to inspect the 'demo' I include with the unity package.
That is a pretty simple setup that you can play with and dissect and break apart that should give you an idea of how the pipeline works.

Jondar
New face

Postby Jondar » Wed May 06, 2015 5:09 pm

Got it working well--won't ask additional questions about cartoon tile set :-)

A few new questions:
1. Tile setup in Maya looks like easiest way to go--looks like I'll need to learn how to use it :-/
What tools in Maya did you use to manipulate the tiles?

2. With Tiled, is there a limit to the # of layer tiers you can have? For example, "ground" doesn't look like it can be lowered further, nor a new layer significantly raised--only moved relative to the ground layer. Something that I am missing there?

dez
L.F.A. TEAM

Postby dez » Wed May 06, 2015 5:36 pm

Jondar wrote:What tools in Maya did you use to manipulate the tiles?

The tools I used were the ones I included for you with Tiled to Unity.
Look in Project Assets> Tiled > externalTools and you will see a mel file there with the tools.

Jondar wrote:2. With Tiled, is there a limit to the # of layer tiers you can have? For example, "ground" doesn't look like it can be lowered further, nor a new layer significantly raised--only moved relative to the ground layer. Something that I am missing there?

If i understand your question correctly, the answer is that you can have tiles as high or low as you like... but naturally since you are dealing with a modular system... you must create the appropriate transition tiles to get to the desired depth or height. Does that answer your question?

Jondar
New face

Postby Jondar » Fri May 08, 2015 4:55 pm

Dez,

As regards having tiles as high or as low as you like, I'm a bit confused. For example, in the environment set, there is low water, and high water. But if you wanted still higher water, would you need to simply make a new map and just raise it in Unity to transition from one map to another? Or can you make Higher-still water by manipulating stuff in Tiled? I don't see how to add additional height via that mechanism (don't see a height setting per-se). I see a ground layer, and at least with the example of the environment, one level above. I see that I can add a layer in Tiled, but it doesn't tell me where that layer is in up/down height.

For example, if I wanted a mountain of cascading waterfalls that was 5 tiles high (narrow top, broad at base) can that be accomplished in Tiled to Unity? If so, any way to direct me to a map for how to do that? I was wanting to make some mountains with slopes to go from a broad base to a peak. I'm sure I could do that by combining several maps in Unity, but am hoping there is an easy way to do that in Tiled and have a single map/terrain.

I have started watching modeling tutorials for Maya, which seems far more powerful in what it can do than 3DSMax, with which I am still a newb. For the tiles you made in Maya for the environment, did you start with a bunch of tiles --some taller, others less tall--and go from there? For revision tiles located below, if you change the first instance does that automatically change the revision tiles? Just trying to see the fastest means to have tiles arranged in Maya (yes, watched the video using the script & the up & down feature in Maya) and to modify a large group of revision tiles. Or did you modify the original, make a copy, modify it & then place in correct spot below?

dez
L.F.A. TEAM

Postby dez » Fri May 08, 2015 5:59 pm

Jondar wrote: I see that I can add a layer in Tiled, but it doesn't tell me where that layer is in up/down height.
That's because Tiled has no notion of up or down. The 'height' of the tile is determined completely by its 3D model. If you want higher tiles you will need to model transition tiles that function as a transition from your low tiles to your high ones.

For example, if I wanted a mountain of cascading waterfalls that was 5 tiles high (narrow top, broad at base) can that be accomplished in Tiled to Unity?
Of course it can be accomplished. You will need to have corresponding 3D models to tell Unity what to put there.

Tiled only says "put x tile HERE" in the .tmx. Tiled to Unity reads what tiled wrote in the .tmx, and asks "What is x tile? Have I been informed of a model that represents x tile? If yes, place x's model HERE, else throw an error".

if you change the first instance does that automatically change the revision tiles?
the word 'instance' is a very specific term. It means that two models are not only the same, but that when you change one it changes the other. This is as opposed to a 'duplicate' which is a copy that is otherwise an independent model.

Or did you modify the original, make a copy, modify it & then place in correct spot below?
Yes that is how they were made. It is a lot of work, and there is no way around it if you want to make a tiled 3D game. You might read an article i wrote about environment art here where I mention some things to consider regarding what approach to use in game environments, in particular tiled environments.

did I answer your questions?

Jondar
New face

Postby Jondar » Fri May 08, 2015 7:28 pm

Yes, questions answered nicely.

As regards the varying heights of models, since the spacing for revision tiles below the original one is tightly controlled (3), I assume that any very tall tiles would be single-occurence tiles (no way to place revision tiles below if too tall?)?

Also, in order to use the terrain painting in Tiled, would I be able to cleanly assign the higher tile model (for example, a much higher water tile) as a terrain that T to Unity would translate correctly? It seems that numerous tiles can be assigned in Tiled as terrain, as long as they are correctly set up in Tiled. And Tiled could care less if the tiles in question were much above the "ground" layer?

I assume that the map generated can also be readily altered using standard terrain tools?

Thank you!

Return to “Tiled to Unity”