Hi, I like that 3d cartoon tile set. Is it included?

Jondar
New face

Re: Hi, I like that 3d cartoon tile set. Is it included?

Postby Jondar » Fri May 08, 2015 7:33 pm

Oh, hopefully simple question. For the tileset you made in Maya, to get the different color layers did you extrude out the curve for each layer and then manipulated it to color it, or how was that accomplished? Also, the curves were done manipulating/adding vertices? And how did you assign the color(s) to only that specific area? Did you duplicate a certain area, color that and put back in place?

Thank you again!

dez
L.F.A. TEAM

Postby dez » Sat May 09, 2015 2:12 am

As regards the varying heights of models, since the spacing for revision tiles below the original one is tightly controlled (3), I assume that any very tall tiles would be single-occurence tiles (no way to place revision tiles below if too tall?)?
no. It doesn't care as long as it is on some multiple of your tile size. You can skip multiples and it shouldn't matter. If you find that it breaks something, let me know and I will fix it.

And Tiled could care less if the tiles in question were much above the "ground" layer?

Thats right, tiled doesn't care if the models (or even the tile images) actually integrate. It is just doing what it is told as defined in the terrain sets in tiled.

For the tileset you made in Maya, to get the different color layers did you extrude out the curve for each layer and then manipulated it to color it, or how was that accomplished? Also, the curves were done manipulating/adding vertices?

I don't usually use 'curves', since they tend to create needlessly complex geometry. I cut each vertex in the tiles by hand using the split polygon tool.

And how did you assign the color(s) to only that specific area?

That is the art of UV mapping geometry to a 2D texture. Window > UV Map Editor.
This is well outside the scope of Tiled to Unity though. Sounds like you have a long road ahead :) But there should be many tutorials online to help you.

Jondar
New face

Postby Jondar » Sat May 09, 2015 12:00 pm

Awesome!

I appreciate the expertise. It helps to know a direction in which to go--even the terminology directs. For example, I am aware of UV mapping--but not of mapping to a 2D texture (will figure it out--the Maya tiles are 3D :-/ ). Thanks again!

dez
L.F.A. TEAM

Postby dez » Sat May 09, 2015 1:06 pm

That's right Jondar: UV mapping is the art of mapping 3D geometry to a 2D texture :)

Jondar
New face

Postby Jondar » Mon May 11, 2015 11:03 pm

For transition tiles, did you start with a single plane & extrude to the higher or lower level, or did you start with 2 planes already in correct height position, and combine vertices as a transition between the two, or how did you get the moved edges to line up/be flat with the neighboring tiles?

Did you do a landscape and then chop it up in to individual tiles of 3x3 size, or make each a 3x3 tile to start with? If you chopped, how did you size the tile?

dez
L.F.A. TEAM

Postby dez » Tue May 12, 2015 12:32 am

Jondar wrote:For transition tiles, did you start with a single plane & extrude to the higher or lower level, or did you start with 2 planes already in correct height position, and combine vertices as a transition between the two, or how did you get the moved edges to line up/be flat with the neighboring tiles?

Did you do a landscape and then chop it up in to individual tiles of 3x3 size, or make each a 3x3 tile to start with? If you chopped, how did you size the tile?

Hi Jondar,
I dunno tbh, it really depends on the situation... but for the complex ones I would always set up the 4 tiles that are meant surround it, and then modeled the middle to integrate them.
use x to snap to grid, c to snap to verts. Thats how i did it.

As far as tile size, its up to you. I chose 3, but its whatever you want. Just be sure to choose a whole number.
Keep it simple Jondar! :)

Return to “Tiled to Unity”