Some questions about tiled to unity

abaetherno
New face

Some questions about tiled to unity

Postby abaetherno » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:12 am

Hi! :D
I'm just starting in game developing world, and i'm working with unity3D.
The idea is to create an isometric game (2.5D ?) and i'm really exited, but it seems to be really difficult to find a tool that allows to import isometric maps from tiled to unity.
Tiled to unity seems to be the best option, but before buying it i'll like to know if it will give me that support fort isometric maps created using tiled.
So, the simply question is.. Does tiled to unity support isometric maps?

Thank you very very much, sorry for my english and sorry if it's a silly question, but i want tu be sure :D :D

Thank yooou! :D

dez
L.F.A. TEAM

Re: Some questions about tiled to unity

Postby dez » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:05 pm

So, the simply question is.. Does tiled to unity support isometric maps?

Yep :)
In fact, i would recommend using Tiled to Unity for isometric games over full-3D... you will avoid a lot of performance considerations.

abaetherno
New face

Postby abaetherno » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:11 pm

Oh !! Thank you sou much for answering so fast!! :D
It's awesome to know that it supports isometric maps before buying it! ^^ (really good news !)
Thank you so much again :D :D

dez
L.F.A. TEAM

Postby dez » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:14 pm

Sure :)

What Tiled To Unity does is lay out the tile models for you in a 3D space.
However you want to render those models, or handle them afterwards is up to you.

A 2.5D isometric environment would need to solve the same problem of laying out the tile models, so it should work well for you.

abaetherno
New face

Postby abaetherno » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:30 pm

Hi Dez!
We just purchased tiled to unity and we're having some problems.
We're trying to import a isometric .tmx map from tiled to unity (without using maya).
After a few hours, we've seen that for step one, we need game objects, as many game objects as tiles in our png file, this game objects must be in different coordinates (selecting the game object and then inspector we change the coordinates).
This coordinates must be the same that the ones in the .tmx file?
<tile id="4" terrain="0,0,0,1"/>
<tile id="5" terrain="0,0,1,0"/>
<tile id="6" terrain="1,0,0,0"/>

The first game object placed in 0,0,0 the second one in 0,0,1 the third one in 1,0,0... ?
If this is like this, we need to create this game objects MANUALLY? :cry:
And... our tmx file starts like this:
<map version="1.0" orientation="isometric" renderorder="right-down" width="25" height="25" tilewidth="64" tileheight="32">
We save the map in base64 without compression (as you explained in another post).
Our tile size in step 1 is fixed to 3.

I don't know if we're doing something wrong, but we're not capable to import the map :cry:

I'll be waiting from your answer,
thank you very much !

joy_baku
New face

Postby joy_baku » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:37 pm

Hi,

I've just purchased your product,

I'm having the same problem as abatherno.

Could you please explain us step by step, or create another tutorial, how to import a .tmx map from Tiled to Unity with only a .tmx and a .png file? (Without Maya, and with a empty unity scene?)

abaetherno
New face

Postby abaetherno » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:55 pm

joy_baku wrote:Could you please explain us step by step, or create another tutorial, how to import a .tmx map from Tiled to Unity with only a .tmx and a .png file? (Without Maya, and with a empty unity scene?)

That will be great :D

dez
L.F.A. TEAM

Postby dez » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:02 pm

Hi Guys,

"Tiled to Unity with only a .tmx and a .png file?"

This is not possible without defining at least something to place in Unity. Tiled To Unity places geometry (prefabs). That is how it works.
Before placing any tiles with the .tmx you have to tell Tiled to Unity what each tile used by the tmx means. IE what geometry do you want it to use for each tile in the tile sheet. (step 1)
If you are making a 2.5 D game, I don't see a way around this. (How would you expect it to place 2.5 D geometry without defining what that geometry should be somewhere?)

You can find a very simple use case in the demo included with your Tiled To Unity (the city scene). The ground is basically just a cut up png, and it uses the same png in Tiled as it does in Unity.

PS
If what you guys really want is just a 2D system, there are a bunch out there and some are free. None of them except this one will give you 2.5 or 3D tiles, though. That is the strength of Tiled To Unity and why it costs money.

Here is the Step 1 tutorial that i think is most relevant to your question:

dez
L.F.A. TEAM

Postby dez » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:10 pm

abaetherno wrote:The first game object placed in 0,0,0 the second one in 0,0,1 the third one in 1,0,0... ?
If this is like this, we need to create this game objects MANUALLY? :cry:

No need to suffer placing them using the inspector. Just put them more or less where you want them in the scene, and then use 'force exact positions' tool described in the video above from 4:08

However, yes each tile in the tilesheet does need to be represented by a gameobject/prefab. That is what you must do since you are making a 2.5D game (which in this case has the same challenges as a 3D game).

Return to “Tiled to Unity”