has anyone applied a LOD strategy with these maps?

sstark
New face

has anyone applied a LOD strategy with these maps?

Postby sstark » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:26 pm

Hello,

I'm making such great progress with my game, and am loving Tiled to Unity.

I'm just curious if anyone has already solved this in the past.

I'm just looking to setup some basic LOD with a loaded tile map. I'm fairly sure this won't be a difficult task, just curious if anyone's already done this before and might have a tip or two?

dez
L.F.A. TEAM

Re: has anyone applied a LOD strategy with these maps?

Postby dez » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:48 pm

I haven't done it myself since in OBEY I optimize by combining the tiles rather than using LOD.

sstark
New face

Postby sstark » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:51 pm

well that in itself is very interesting. What was your approach here, was it a whole new tile that is 'combined', or is it a scaled up version of a smaller tile?

dez
L.F.A. TEAM

Postby dez » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:22 pm

The way I do it is after I place all the tiles with Tiled To Unity, I take a virtual grid over the world regardless of tile placement and combine the tiles based on that grid. An OBEY map can have up to 10,000 tiles... That is WAY too many draw calls (in a typical PC game you want about 1000 or less), so i combine them. But since each tile averages about 250 polys it's too much to combine them all into one (unity does not allow meshes with more than 65k verts), so I use the grid to turn 10,000 tiles into about 30 chunks/draw calls. Keep in mind they all use the same material and only have 1 material each, otherwise that would get split off into its own additional draw call.

You can avoid all this crap if you make a top down or isometric game!! lol

sstark
New face

Postby sstark » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:54 pm

thank you for sharing, that's really interesting. All my tiles do have a single texture, yes. I may just end up only using small maps, or your suggestion of a isometric ( or fixed view ) approach., I'm just planning things out right now.

thanks again, it's great to hear what others have done.

Return to “Tiled to Unity”