Maze Map

SilentSpecter
New face

Maze Map

Postby SilentSpecter » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:02 pm

Hey Dez,

I have an idea/suggestion for a map. I've been toying with the map I am talking about, but am no good at creating mazes.
Here it goes, have the giant robot in the center of the map, players randomly spawn somewhere in the outskirts of the maze.
The goal is to navigate the maze and get to the robot at the center before anyone else. To make this "minigame" fun we would need to add dead ends. We could have it so players earn no money through the match, and win when they earn 300 by entering the robot. We could make it last longer by making the person in the robot as the only one who makes money, and other players have to navigate the maze to kick him out of the robot (we would need to remove the robots damage, making it so the robot couldn't kill other bunnies). Anyway, if/when I have a map created i'll either send it to you or recommend playing it one Saturday.

SilentSpecter
New face

Re: Maze Map

Postby SilentSpecter » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:12 pm

Note, it would have to be third person or the equivalent or the player is able to look over the walls.

HexZyle
Regular

Postby HexZyle » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:56 pm

The issue with a maze map is that as soon as one person learns the fastest way, either by being the lucky bugger to stumble on it, or by looking at the map with external programs (especially the level designer themselves), the map becomes "solved" and loses its quirky factor.

I'd be more than happy to punch out some maze maps, but just remember what I've said above.

Making the winning condition as what you said: no bunnies earn money and the first one in the robo auto-wins the match is pretty easy when you change a couple of the serverSettings. For the extended game variant, If the walls are high enough, the Robo will not even be able to see the bunnies, so it won't matter. (I'll have to test this though)

SilentSpecter
New face

Postby SilentSpecter » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:01 pm

I do agree about people memorizing the layout. If you want I can send you what I have so you can see what I'm looking at, it's no where near complete though.

HexZyle
Regular

Postby HexZyle » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:29 am

SilentSpecter wrote:I do agree about people memorizing the layout. If you want I can send you what I have so you can see what I'm looking at, it's no where near complete though.

Sorry for the late reply, but sure.

SilentSpecter
New face

Postby SilentSpecter » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:49 am

Ok, how do you want me to send it to you? I can't upload it as an attachment.

HexZyle
Regular

Postby HexZyle » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:07 am

Erm, have you even tried playing on them? They're too large. (150x150) They take forever for the client to load, and huge.tmx is really laggy. The game isn't optimized to be able to render 400+ tiles of Forest, and 20,000 tiles of shrubs and glowing fungus. Even though you've only just over doubled the length and height dimensions of the map, the area, and thus load, has increased by sixfold.
Consider the normal map size is ~3500 tiles. (65x55 or 50x70) I know it feels cool to make a massive map, but with all things, quality over quantity. If you want a map where it takes longer to reach the robo, place a lot of impassable terrain.

Return to “ideas/suggestions”