Password protection on server

Easy to use IRC implementation for Unity.
Raiddevs
New face

Password protection on server

Postby Raiddevs » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:34 am

I tried to contact you regarding a password protected server, you post a reply in asset store but unfortunatly thats not the issue. Adding the server password to the channel password doesnt work, i need to add the password for the server on connection (ip, port, PASSWORD) but have been unable to modify the script to handle this.

Any ideas on a modified code for this, i always use protected irc servers to keep botters out and wont remove it to use a script like this, just needs modifying.

Any ideas would be greatly welcomed but in the meantime ill continue to modify the script

(no successfull connection as of yet)

Rick

dez
L.F.A. TEAM

Re: Password protection on server

Postby dez » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:33 am

Hi there,

the script does it as far as I know, in the standard IRC way.
which is:
JOIN #channelName password

according to spec 2812, you can use:
JOIN &channelName password

so maybe change the # to a & on line 675?

Let me know if that doesn't work.
If your IRC server requires something else, I can help you if you tell me what the syntax is to apply the password.

Raiddevs
New face

Postby Raiddevs » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:37 am

To join our IRC server you require a password to connect, this is done automatically in the game but i need a line to add to say that when you try to connect to our chat in the game after logging in it automatically inputs

There are no passwords on the channels as we only use 2 channels, 1 as the main game chat and the other is for the admins and mods(using IRC clients).

Connect to server (IP)(Port)
Password for server - This is whats needed
Identify user

currently at the moment when you log in the game and open the chat panel it connects to server - then disconnects for PASSWORD MISMATCH.

We use a password protected server so we dont get invaded by bot users looking to cause trouble from our server and safeguards the users in the chat.

Ive seen other IRC chat scripts that use a server password connection but can not implement it into your script and we dont wanna mess about with it too much.

If i remove the server password it connects fine, no issues but we need that extra security for our players.

Sorry if this is a pain but was hoping to edit the script to allow for this security function.

dez
L.F.A. TEAM

Postby dez » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:53 am

Hmm, if I understand correctly what you mean...

According to the spec at section 3.1.1 there is a way to provide a connection password.
You can provide it with the keyword PASS

Hence, in line 351, before the nick is sent, try adding the following

Code: Select all

streamOUT.WriteLine("PASS " + yourServerPassword );
streamOUT.Flush();

I haven't tested this, but it's worth a shot...

Raiddevs
New face

Postby Raiddevs » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:56 am

Tried adding that code but nothing

Connects to server

Looks up name

ping/pong

disconnects

(*stuck now and will stare into space for a few days and see if the solution can be found*)

dez
L.F.A. TEAM

Postby dez » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:26 pm

If you have other software that successfully connects to the server, you can either instrument it or you can run a network sniffer at the same while you run it.

The network sniffer will easily pick out the IRC messages and you can see exactly what is being sent.
Then, the problem just becomes making sure the same exact message is sent from this IRC client.

Return to “Easy IRC Chat”